Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7
 
On March 7th I received several bags of clothing from a friend at school, her mom had just recently passed and she was wanting 5 quilts from me. I sought the Lord in prayer and wrote this blog post
Since I have the same recent loss, I knew in my heart the pain, the longing and the comfort that is all wrapped into a request like this. The pain in letting go of the clothing to become a quilt, the longing for a mother no longer here on earth, even if we will see her one day again and the comfort that a quilt can provide. Recently it seems the Lord has provided comfort to some through the work of my hands. I love that He uses me to create these gifts. This time it meant so much to me because I personally knew the children and the mother that these quilts would belong to. 
I am so thankful this week that three weeks later all the orders have been finished and I feel like each quilt is special in its' own creative right. I tried to think of each receipent and what that quilt might mean to that individual. Tonight I finished an extra special order, one that would have made my own mother so proud. I feel like the Lord knew a few months ago that I would have this quilt order because the backing to the quilt has been in my home for a few months now. I have been searching for more flannel just like it to make curtains out of it for my room. However, this morning I knew that was not the creation it was intended for. It was for this quilt. 
You see I had 12 blocks that still needed a home in another quilt. The rag quilt that I made is very heavy and honestly I doubt it would be used at all in the summer. I wanted a quilt that would be light and would be fitting for those days when "mom just sneaks into your mind". She had chose this black and white polka dot fabric for her daughters, I had saw this really pretty red for the binding to match the backing she chose for them, see it worked perfectly with this backing I had on hand, so I just dug in today and came out with a wonderful "not asked for" quilt. 
I admit that I have a heart for giving. People really reach my heart and soul and in this case its very true. I feel the Lord provided me with a talent and that I can find times like this to use it to give them somethign to wrap themselves in, so that through this quilt her mother and the Lord can provide her with comfort and memories. 
I pray that come Friday when I give this quilt that it will do just that. I rejoice in the fact that one day we will both see our mothers again. I know for me I miss mine terribly. Its hard to not have her to share the little things with, such as the kids and their successes, creating something new I have never tried before- like the rag quilt this week, or just needing to talk. I am thankful I listened to my heart for this truly is another beautiful creation. Thank you Lord for making me a vessel to do Your work. 
 

1 comment:

  1. That was really sweet of you to do that. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24