Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This is a wonderful recipe if you have a summer or fall garden because its pretty cheap. We grew our own squash this year so the only cost to me was the sauce- because I didn't have time to make any and the jimmy dean sausage. 

This recipe calls for 
1 spaghetti squash
Half of a small package of jimmy dean sausage (i like the hot), 
one small zucchini, 
one small yellow squash,
 4 mushrooms 
 2 banana peppers (because I had them). 
You could also use spinach or other veggies if you have them
 
I bake the spaghetti squash with the smallest amount of butter in a pan covered with foil at 400 degrees, it cooks for 45 min to an hour. Once its done I take tongs and hold one side of the squash and with a fork I scrape out the squash, they come out looking almost like noodles. 
10-15 min prior to the squash being ready I make the topping

Brown the sausage, while its browning I cut up the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and banana peppers
After the sausage is browned remove any oil with a paper towel, then add the veggies. I let it cook 5 min or so covered with a lid then I add the spaghetti sauce and simmer an additional five minutes.

Once the squash is done and I have it in a casserole dish I top it with the topping and then add mozzarella cheese to the top and bake @ 350 for 10 min. Remove and let sit for a few minutes and then serve.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24