Monday, March 23, 2009

Menu Planning Monday


Well this morning started out great. Kids were ready for school on time, the weather is not too cold not too warm. Slight wind but other than that really nice. I dropped them off and then things changed. The car started overheating. My husband assumed that it was just low on water Friday night when it did the same thing. He drove it a little Saturday and it didn't overheat and thankfully this morning he took the truck for some reason because last night a guy he works with called and said he would not be in because of a funeral and the girl that works with them would be out because she had court. That leaves two people to do a days work in a warehouse, not good. SO while I didn't like having to get stranded briefly, I was thankful to God that he took the truck and I had the car, better to ruin my morning then his. (grin)

I was able to call a friend- whom I woke up- and he came and got me and brought me back to my house. PRAISE GOD! The car can sit at their Fabric Shoppe in town, behind it really, until my husband gets off and retrieves me so we can figure out what is wrong.

This week we made our menu on the way to work. We have had a lot of unexpected expenses. I don't know that there is really any other kind. (grin)

We need to replace our septic system, it is overflowing into the entire side yard. EEEWWW GROSS. - Hopefully it can just be drained- that is much cheaper. Then we purchased a lot of lumber and metal wire stuff to put in a fence this weekend as we have deer/rabbit etc problems with our garden. Now the car so wow, eat cheap for a couple months is the plan, and I mean real cheap.

The menu this week is simple. BEANS BEANS and More BEANS.

I actually will have to go purchase some. We did start some bean plants to that will be nice in a few months. Hope to get them planted this week sometime. For now I need another big bag. I have some on the stove. The kids don't like anything in theirs. Zekaryah will deal with bean soup with no onion or garlic in it, I sure do miss that though.

So we will make simple things

Bean and Cheese Burritos,

Tostadas,

Beans and Chips

Bean Salad

Charro Beans

Ranch Style Beans

You get the idea. To keep things real cheap Paul and I will eat Charro Beans all week. Instead of the variety as the stuff that goes with it sure does add to the food bill. We will also eat if for lunch. In the meantime I need to get busy quilting all week so that hopefully come May we can make some money to put back into savings. With missing work this week, that depletes $40 right off for food, so it is a good thing that hubby made the menu this week and not me.

My verse for the week- which I think is so true to our time in life right now.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”- James 1:12

1 comment:

  1. Can I send my vegetarian son over there? He loves beans! The rest of the family gets really upset when I make beans, however.

    Anyway, it's good to eat cheaply in order to keep finances on an even keel. Isn't it hard to budget for food these days?
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24