Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks


Storms
As the storms on the East coast approach, I am reminded of Great Fear and Panic.
I remember all too well a few we have had in the last 5 years. I can remember going to the store to buy necessities and their not being any. I can remember aft er the storm washing clothes outside in buckets and hanging them to dry. I remember not having power for 8 days. I remember cutting trees that had fallen and being so thankful they had broke in half, preventing them from hitting the house.
I think about all kinds of storms, financial hardship, depression, marital problems, problems with teenagers, the terrible twos. There are many different types of storms in life. Some seem to last forever, some last a few days and are back again later. Some are gone as quickly as they came.  I feel the best thing I can do in any type of storm is pray. Let the prayer go through my entire body so that I will feel peace and no longer fear.
The bible talks about storms- it also shows how the Lord truly is in control of them, just by His spoken word,
Luke 8:23-25
And as they sailed he fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water and were in danger. And they went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. He said to them, “Where is your faith?” And they were afraid, and they marveled, saying to one another, “Who then is this, that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?”
I can’t even imagine commanding the wind. What an amazing thing that is. Of course this is a God that spoke and produced night and day, animals, the heavens and the earth. That is a pretty amazing task too.  Sometimes Faith is just knowing that the Lord has it all under control, its not our job, it never was, it never will be. We have to just TRUST that He will take care of us. Of course that does not mean bad things will not happen, it just means He has a way to help you through whatever life is dishing out to you. He will always be there, He says this many times in the bible

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
I also marvel in this verse. Read it and truly take it in, it speaks so deeply to my heart.

Psalm 34:17-20

When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.
Our storm in life right now personally is finances and our home. It seems like the two are competing to suck life out of us sometimes. I admit sometimes it’s hard to be optimistic and stand in faith when its constantly something else, yet I know that these trials are intended to make us personally stronger and then also just our relationships. We really have to learn how to lean on one another. Today I am grateful for the extra work my husband had at his job. I am praying he arrives home quickly and our task of starting the chimney demolishing is an easy one. I am thankful the Lord already knows are needs.

For other Saturday Scripture Blog Postings please see my friend Rita at Following 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24