Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks

“Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest. In plowing time and in harvest you shall rest. 

Exodus 34:21

This weeks Saturday Scripture Speaks is about Rest. I will admit that is a word I often forget in my regular lifestyle. As I come off the Back to School Ministry from SOS I am finding that tomorrow really needs to be a day of rest. We don't do that much around here. Normally it is full of chores, projects or like last week more volunteering. After putting in an 8 hour volunteer day today my body is tired.
It made me think of the fact that I have not taken one day to rest all week. If the Lord took a day of rest why is it that we think we are not allowed to, or that we shouldn't?
“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” 
Psalm 46:10
 I feel like we are busier than ever lately. I tend to volunteer for a great deal of things. I don't mind spending my time helping others though. I found that it really helped me control my manic depression lately. Tonight though I felt drained and realized the depression was setting in, the low part. Key to fixing that is some rest. I think its in these times that the Lord tends to refuel me. So that I can set out a new week or couple of weeks to get what He wants done. 
And He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a lonely place and rest a while." For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.
Mark 6:31 
I can say that sometimes we fill our lives with so much activity that we forget the simple stuff. Watching a movie with our loved ones, playing a game, swimming in the pool, just various activities you do as a family, every member being present. I think the most perfect verse about rest is this one.. Make sure you take time to rest. Maybe just do a snack tray for lunch or dinner, don't do wash, don't clean the bathroom just enjoy your family..even the Lord took a day off.. its hard to always remember that.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and loving kindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24