Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks

First let me say I realize it is not Saturday yet. I just know that my day is full of volunteering at Society of Samaritans, since I found out Paul is not going it might mean I am there from 8-2 so that I can get everything I want done. I am hoping Jakob will cope with being there that long.
This week I have thought a lot about time. Questions like,
How can I use my time more wisely?
What do I want to accomplish the most if my time were up in a week, month, year?
How come there are not enough hours (time) in my day?
Honestly that last one is on my list more than anything, right along with how come this takes so long (again in reference to time)
So what does God say about time. The most common verse I think is this one.
1 There is a time for everything,
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace. Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
It is really true there is a time for everything. It reminds me of an old Hymn we sung esp when I was attending the Church of Christ as an elementary student, it was called In His Time.
The words to that song are so accuarte. How often do we wonder why something cannot just be now. We want an answer now, we want results now, we want change now… Yet its hard to remember that an answer to prayer is often In His Time.
I have adjusted my schedule (time) a great deal to be able to help with SOS. I never realized that they needed so much help. They need way more help than I can offer for sure. I always want to make sure that I am doing this service for the Lord though. I look to Colossians 3:23 which says,
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
I think this is important because if you do it for Glory, or you start to feel resentful or like it is an obligation then what are you really gaining? That’s something to think about. It is hard sometimes to set the time aside to volunteer but I realize the Lord is giving me so many more hours to get things done. I am trying to get better at allowing the Lord to plan my day. He talks about this concept in Proverbs 16:9
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his step.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24