Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 

 I think service is an important part of educating our children. I am very thankful that our High School requires community service hours if you would like to participate in National Honor Society, or receive accommodations upon graduation. I will admit it saddens me that you cannot serve at church or church functions and count these hours. I understand the separation between church and state I guess but still, it would seem if you are serving others that should be all that matters. I did like that Society of Samaritans is an acceptable form of service.
Today we- my son and I and a group of 5 other children, high school age, met at the SOS to help in their store and also in the yard doing some work. I admit that the manual labor was rough. They had demolished a building and we had to scavenge through the debris and throw away trash, building parts etc. It was hot and miserable. I thought of how nice it would have been to have water. That made me think of old days where they would work in the fields and have to walk, sometimes a long way for their water, still working in the heat and sun like we were. I am truly thankful for bottled water and that convenience. I was very proud of these children for all their hard work today. I really did not hear much complaining. That is always a great thing when you are trying to serve others. We took a break and had lunch- a youth pastor led a small sermon and prayer. I could not have asked for a better way to serve. In the later afternoon we got to help hang clothes, that others may purchase or sometimes get free with vouchers. When we were done with our four hours the lady was so thankful for the seven of us. I can't wait to go back with Jakob next week. I think it is a great way to show God's love to others by serving in a location that then serves the community. 
Of course the greatest act of service is that of Christ. He was a wonderful example of serving to others. Feeding the hungry, helping the blind and lame, healing the sick.. the list goes on and on. Then of course His ultimate service and sacrifice, dying on the cross to give us eternal life for all those that believe in Him. It is so important to serve others like Christ served us. I am excited for this new journey and pray that through our family serving we can be a light to others.

"It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Matthew 20:26-28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24