Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Gen 3:20
Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living.
Thankful Thursday this week has me focusing on what it means to me to be a mother. I feel honored to have three wonderful, healthy, caring children. I have some pictures that have the kids and I in them but usually I am the one with the camera, so here is a little trip down memory lane.

We love times at the beach, we have spent many summers laying the sand, playing the water and having fun.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
We enjoyed a summer vacation in California to see my family back in 2005. I am ever so thankful as they will have memories of my family. We spent time at amusement parks that summer too.
Proverbs 22:6 says to 
"train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
I have had the privilege of participating in all of my children's baptisms. I am so thankful they each know Christ as their personal savior.
Psalms 127:3
Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.
I love all the opportunities we have to spend time together as a family. Game Nights, Movie Nights, Working in the yard. It is nice to have so much to be thankful for.
Proverbs 20:11
Even children are known by the way they act, whether their conduct is pure, and whether it is right.
I am thankful for the time as they have gotten older that I have been a stay at home mom, for the time that I have been able to volunteer at school and be there for awards days etc. I love showing them how much I support them and what they do.
Matthew 18:2-4
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."
I also love our special times like blueberry picking or date nights. I admit they are harder to come by but I pray the Lord allow us time and finances to have more of those one on one moments.
Isa 66:13
As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."
We love to swim. Thankfully Paul has two family members with pools and occasionally we use them at hotels when we stay. I am thankful that this year we were able to purchase our own since we are not doing a family vacation. That money will be well spent with all the fun memories we make during the hottest months of this summer and many to come.
1 Timothy 4:12
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.

I love that even at 15 my oldest still wants me around. I see so many parents who don't have that, and it makes me terribly sad. I am so thankful for my oldest, he is such a treasure of support to pick up slack when needed etc. I also love how outspoken he is about his faith.

1 Timothy 1:5

"The goal of his command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."
I love that my younger two have the voice of angels. I am so proud of them for sticking with choir and can't wait to see what is in store for their lives. It warms my heart to listen to them sing. Every once in a while you will find a tear or two in my eyes too.

1 John 3:18

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." We should start focusing on showing our love to others as we say what we feel.
I sure miss these days, they seemed simple. I miss the hand painting, the reading books for ours, the snuggling on the couch during a movie with popcorn- which we still do but its not the same. I am thankful they grow older and less dependent on me. I enjoy watching them grow.
Proverbs 13:24
Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.
I love times we have had at zoos and museums.
Ephesians 6:1-3
Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. "Honor your father and mother." This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, "things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth."
I love cuddly time and miss that Ham that Jakob used to be.
Ecclesiastes 4:9–12
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
I love a happy home, we have our moments of fighting but mostly we are a house full of laughter and smiles.
Proverbs 17:17
A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.
There are times of upset, times where they are sad and hurt. I am thankful that the Lord gave mother's intuition so that we know how to comfort and love them.
Colossians 3:14
And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
My favorite activity when they were little was to swing. This is also probably one of my most treasured pictures. There is just something so sweet about it.
Ezek 16:44
"Everyone who quotes proverbs will quote this proverb about you: "Like mother, like daughter."
We are Texans for sure, love bluebonnets and Springtime here.
1 Peter 4:8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
This is another photo that I will treasure forever. Out of 2 bus loads of kids from High School only 3 parents attended the Field trip this year. My son personally asked me, and even smiled for a picture that his teacher took for us. I am thankful I will always have that day.
1 Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Lastly we wrap the beginning of this year up with My Grandma June. If there was ever a mother that I wanted to learn from it was her. She had many kids and then still took care of so many others that were not hers. She was everyone's mom. Now that she is older she will tell you that Babies are like Christmas..I am incredibly thankful that my children got to meet her as teenagers. I am hoping they will have the few days we spent with her forever in their minds. I am incredibly thankful to be a mom. I don't know of a better job on earth. The pay is sometimes rough when bills seem larger than what is on your checkbook balance but I would not trade any of it. It's far the best thing I have ever done and will continue to do. Happy Thankful Thursday.
1 Corinthians 13:4–8a
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24