Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
For More Thankful Thursdays, you can link up or read at http://womentakingastand.blogspot.com/
I am still very thankful for the week we had. Sunday concluded the visit with my grandma but I am still flying pretty high from being able to see her. It is so rare that I have family come to Texas to visit. I am thankful that this weeks homework schedule has gone better. I got another surprise quilt gift made. I love when I can make something so unexpected for someone, I don't care for not being able to post the pictures though. I always just want to share right away. I have to remain patient on the gift I finished up Friday night, as it still has not gotten to its owner either.
This week I was reminded of how careful we have to be with the friends our children make. In our household we really try to teach the kids the principal of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We don't just say it, we practice it. Even amongst our own family members I try very hard to implement this value/moral/biblical principal. Mekenzei learned this lesson first hand this week. Its so hard to grow up in the world of teenagers these days. They know so much more than I can ever imagine through older siblings, relatives, television the internet...the list goes on and on. Mekenzei was told something by a little girl this week that just shocked me to my core. I could not even believe the little girl said such a thing. I felt bad for her on several levels. Both her and this girl are part of a circle of girls and it seems that all the girls failed to make very good choices when one friend was sided with over the other, Mekenzei being the one left out. 
That was the first lesson- If you have a friend that is going to not talk to you because they are told not to by someone else, then maybe they aren't really that great of a friend in the first place.
The second lesson was- Yes you have a valid reason to be upset and hurt over what was said. However, you know that you are a person with high moral character and what was said should not even be given a second thought because there is no truth or value to it. (so incredibly hard to realize)
Third lesson- You always have your dad and I to come to, to share with and to cry with whenever its needed, also Zekaryah stood up for her, both at lunch and the bus ride home- so I emphasized an another important value in our house- Family is everything, through thick and thin you have them by you. I was proud of Zekaryah for being there with her.
Fourth and Final Lesson- Remember what utters from your own mouth. Too often I think - especially with little girls things get said and you can't always take them back. Also just the gossip. So and So is mad at So and so which leads two or more to talk about so and so behind their back..It just gets mean and ugly. I just focused on the fact of how this comment really affected not just her but all these girls, how we really need to watch what we say and think and how we treat others. Think of how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
The whole situation just showed me how thankful I am to have wonderful caring children. I am also incredibly grateful that they feel they can come to me and not be judged but they can be comforted.

Ephesians 4:29 

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 

Proverbs 21:23 

Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. 

Titus 3:2 

To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Psalm 34:13 

Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.

2 comments:

  1. Hard lessons to learn, but oh so very true. God bless your little ones as they grow in grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're teaching your children life lessons. You have good children and they have good parents. The tongue is a hard one for me to tame myself. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24