Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Word Filled Wednesday



2 Corinthians 4:16-18
“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”

Digging Deeper
Seen: to perceive with the eyes; look at.
Unseen: unobserved, unable to be seen; hidden
Eternal: without beginning or end; lasting forever; always existing, perpetual; ceaseless; endless
 
Sometimes when I look at this verse I am so thankful that I can focus on the idea that this life is temporary. It often allows me to not stress as much if I can keep this focus. Lately it seems like it is one thing after another for us. With the cold in the house it really furthers all those little things. This weekend we tried to fix a car we have had for a while. I think it will finally work but it will take some money coming in to do so. I know that the Lord is working underneath all of what we see. He is finding a way to bring in extra money to Paul through side jobs or quilt sales for me in order to provide the items we need to fix the car since we are down to one vehicle again.
On the bigger scale I think of death. We see it as our bodies leaving this earth. We have much pain typically with those around us that leave the earth. We miss them, we grieve over them, in some cases we learn to celebrate their lives and the parts they shared with us or others. What we can’t see is the eternal. We try to grasp it but often it does not soothe our emotions here on earth. I was talking to my husband the other night about heaven and eternal life and he sees it in a very interesting way. That there is no time in heaven so he feels like those loved ones who have already departed this earth are there but that so are we, that we are all there together. Not in the time we have in this world but the time of heaven. It was a great way to look at it and I can see how he reasons that.
The Lord does not promise that our paths will be easy, that we will have no troubles. I am so grateful that he does promise us eternal life, the only requirement for us is accepting him as our personal savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24