Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Creativity

I have been studying creativity these past couple weeks. How God wants us to use our talents and treasures to impact the lives of others. Stories such as people figuring out how to donate shoes to lower income areas in other countries, artists due to circumstances such as Joni Eareckson Tada who had a horrible accident and found herself turning to the Lord- then to begin drawing using her mouth and teeth since she was unable to do so with her hands. There are many other stories just like hers.
I am always impacted by stories of creativity. I find that I try hard to use the talents that the Lord has given me. Not always all of them I admit. For example I would say as a child music was my primary talent. I sang, played a couple of instruments, did some acting etc. I enjoyed it immensely. Went to college to still pursue some music to then get married and set is aside.
As an adult with children who are in middle and high school years, I have found a great talent and desire in my quilting. Originally it started out as a way to make things for my children, friend and family and over the last few years it has become a small business that I love. I am not always very patient with the Lord on its growth. I find that I love the business when it is fast paced and moving. When money comes in to help us pay for things like children's clothing, food on the table, new eyeglasses. Our biggest need right now is braces for our oldest.
Sometimes I think it is so easy to loose site of the bigger picture. The reason that I love this creative talent in quilting- that is to embrace others. Create something for them that they love, something that their loved ones or themselves might use, to cherish and have as a memory. I think that is the reason that I keep going with the quilting for others- in the way of making profit. If I had my way I would do them all for free because it is something I truly love.
In my reading for today I stumbled across a verse that spoke to my heart
It is from Colossians chapter 3:12
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
I can see how this verse could apply through so many aspects of our lives. How we help friends in need whether it be that they are having a bad day, maybe a relationship ended, a job is hanging in the midst of unknown etc, or even down to issues with health, depression.. you name it.
So often we become so busy with ourselves that we forget to look to the needs of others. To clothe ourselves with things like compassion and patience.
I know this week I find myself very short on patience with my middle son as the oldest and youngest have numerous homework assignments. He has been very tired lately and a little bit of a pain to be honest. I found myself very short tempered yesterday over something that generally I redirect, yet because of my pressured evening I found myself being very short, very non compassionate or patient with his needs and in turn I hurt his feelings something terribly.
So I am thankful for the reminder of this verse and hope to seek his forgiveness for the misguided direction of my stress last night.
In all areas we should clothe ourselves like commanded in Colossians..whether business, personal or pleasure, its something so simple yet how easy it is to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24