Wednesday, April 15, 2009

WordFilled Wednesday


Normally on Wednesday I like to find a picture from the week and post it, maybe add a scripture. This week I will do more of a post on Time and Talents. Yesterday I finished a quilt project that had kind of landed in my lap. I was using my Time and Talents at a Book Fair at school during the week a month or so ago. I was talking about my quilting business and how slow it was. Then I was asked to create this hand print quilt. I was given several blocks in different sizes and told that the only requirement was a placement of a few blocks in the center, other that that- I was given creative right to the quilt. I soon learned it would not be a lap quilt, but rather more almost Twin Size. I prayed over the quilt as I worked on it. One for God's guidance in where to place things, finding the right fabrics, my workmanship- that HE work THROUGH ME and help me finish the quilt, then also for the right bible verse to pray over the quilt before giving it to the mom of this little girl who hopefully will always treasure it.
Time and Talent has been a verse I have leaned to since I was so little.
1 Peter 4:10 says,
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
1 Corinthians 12 talks about time and talents (gifts) also.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

What I have learned about Time and Talents is that it seems to constantly change. There are so many ways in which we can use our Time and Talents. Some of us are blessed with many talents and it is ever so important to use them to the best of our ability. I always believed the one Talent God would want me to use was Teaching. I have been teaching in one way or another since Jr High- with girl scouts and younger troops, VBS, Church Sunday School, Daycare...the list goes on. I even was fairly close to finishing a Teaching Degree. Lately I have had a door opened to teach quilting. Something I am still learning to do but I was able to help a friend learn how to use a sewing machine and she has made 3 quilts- that are nearly finished- for family members. I would have never imagined teaching someone to quilt or sew as I feel so inadequate in that area- there is so much I still want to learn. Yet The Lord does surprise us doesn't He? The doors he opens just amaze me at times.
Growing up I always worked in the community doing some kind of service, whether it was elderly on my street- just visiting- helping them with things, or with children, senior centers, singing events, music events. As an adult I found myself missing that. I can see now that the Lord hears the desires of my heart without me even speaking them. Yesterday I was invited to be a Parent Helper to a Camp Invention that is held during one week in the summer at our school. With my duties- child admission would be free. I did have to pass on the Camp because I would have no way to get my children to and from since I work caring for Anne three days a week, but I know that if the Lord wants them to go to the camp then a way will be provided. Yesterday I also had several people talk to me about different quilt orders they were interested in- especially Tshirt quilts for their children. I found myself a little overwhelmed as God is gradually opening the doors to ways that I can get further involved in HIS MINISTRY with my business and as a MOM.

I find myself today digging deep into what other Talents I have been provided that the Lord wants me to use. My prayer today is that He would continue to show me those areas, that He would help my business to grow and that through my quilting that He would touch the lives of others.

Have you thought of what your Time and Talents are lately and are you using them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24