Friday, January 16, 2009

My Grandpa Kale

I tried to upload photos tonight, but I only have them in PDF format and Blogger doesn't accept that so....here is all I can do- write Life can be unexpected even when we know a possibility exists. I was at the school tonight for Movie Night, preparing everything for the guests to arrive when my cell phone rings. I immediately said, "those kids better not already be fighting." That was my thought. Then I looked at the phone it had my dad in Utah's name on it, my stomach dropped. You know when you know you need to take a call but you feel like if you don't then you can avoid what will happen. Well that is how I felt. He said hello then started pretty quick in that Grandpa Kale was slipping away, he was resting quietly and that he could put me on speakerphone if I would like to say anything before he died. I was not given the opportunity with two other grandfathers that have passed in the last couple of years, but even with the opportunity in hand all I could say was that I knew he knew he loved me, and I loved him. I could not do it. Maybe I knew I didn't have to. Oddly enough I have not seen him since my other grandfather in Utah passed away in 2007. We had just moved into this house- had not finished yet when I got that call. Then last year I lost my grandfather in California, a huge shock as he was fine, went for a walk and fell and then my family got the call, who then called me. At first we talked about flight arrangements. I knew we didn't have the money for it. My dad immediately assured me if I wanted to go that he would take care of it. I declined because I felt guilty for having him pay for that. After thinking a couple of hours I decided that I really did want to be there, and that is what family is for, to help in time of need. I also thought of what he was going through to, and how I would like to be there for him and his loss. What made me think even more is the only time I see family lately is at funerals. How is it that life comes to that. It made me appreciate that I still have my kids at home, I still get to love on them and spend time with them. I thought I would feel great loss, yet I feel great comfort. It makes me so thankful to know that I just started my new Blog this week. I think of all the verses I have read, the verses I have Blogged about, I had no idea God was preparing me for today all week long. The tears do come, the pain is there, it is natural and I know that. Yet I could not help but think of scripture after scripture in my mind. How wonderful to have that. To know that Kale is with God, that he is no longer in pain. He was so ready to go last time I saw him. He felt he had lived a good life. He felt that he had the best woman on earth that he fell in love with and got to spend his whole life with. He was thankful to have such good kids, grand kids and great grand kids. He felt that his life could not be any better. He had no regrets. I would say that the only thing left was to see our Heavenly Father and start his life there. He of course did not want to leave his beloved June, the woman that is everything in his world. Their love just astounds me. I have never ever seen love like theirs, never. They are like dove, there is no doubt in my mind. I would have loved to have seen them just both go in their sleep together, so that they did not have to spend any time apart. IF that makes any sense at all. Anyway I wanted to pay tribute to my grandfather tonight, wanted to share my story and hope that you remember to tell the person you love that you love them, how much they mean to you, all that jazz. You never know what tomorrow brings. Also that you should live life to your fullest, so that you like my Grandpa Kale, have no regrets. This is my Favorite Verse of all verses- one not often told Romans 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
Romans 6:23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Jude 1:21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. My husbands favorite verse
Psalm 23:4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live" (John 11:25).
Psalm 23:1 A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 2 a time to be born and a time to die,. . .
Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Philippians 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24