Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Taking out time to Show Love

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7


This morning I thought about how to show love to one another in our household. I wanted to think of each family member and do something for each of them. After setting up for a Tasty Tuesday at school where I brought Scarecrow Crunch for teachers and staff, I realized listening to these teachers thank us over and over for the yummy food items everyone brought, that this was more important then ever in my house.

"Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality."
Romans 12:9-13

This morning I went out and fed the quail again for my husband. I really don't like to do this, but I know that it shows him love.
I also made each of my childrens beds. I put new sheets on them and picked up their rooms just a little bit. They have been doing a great job at keeping their rooms tidy, but making their beds often is last on their list, since they get up at 5 to start their mornings. I know for me I like to have a nicely made bed when I climb in at night. I know many mothers would chastise me for not expecting my children to make their own beds. I find that it is something that I can do for them occasionally so I see it more as helping them rather than a nuisance.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127:3-5

I am also going to make pancakes, bacon and sausage for dinner tonight and we will watch some tv together after dinner and homework too. If I can make it to the store before they get home I plan on making pumpkin cheesecake again for dessert, otherwise I will have to make due with the graham cracker crust I already have and make a mock pumpkin pie with what I have.
This season starts the holiday blues and I want to always remind them how much they are loved and cared for. That far outweighs all the things they do not get that their friends do for Christmas and Birthdays.
None of those physical items will matter at all later in life. They will remember the little things like made beds, desserts and family dinners over toys that are here today gone tomorrow.

What can you do for your loved ones today?

"
 Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to hear about what you are working on for others. What great verses you shared and a great encouragment! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24