Monday, February 14, 2011

A Fathers Love Quilt

This has been the most precious Quilt I have ever made- it is a quilt remembering a Fathers Love. I hope to get a better picture of the quilt as a whole once my son is home. It is so Beautiful!
This customer lost her father this past year and sent me 9 clothing items to create this beautiful treasure

Some shirts were Tshirt like, some long sleeve, some more of a heavy cotton/poly material and there was one pair of shorts
I was able to get every pocket on the shirts, one shirt had two sleeves with patches, I also used those
She wanted to use a pair of his shorts. I thought to use the back pocket- which is still fully intact, as well as the front zipper like area- harder to see in this photo.
I love how each pocket I was able to keep the buttons where they had them. I am hoping to maybe sew the buttons back on the areas where the shirts had buttons down the middle I had to remove them to piece the quilt
These blocks are all 11 inches, with a three inch border. She wanted hunting like colors, I chose an olive green cotton and then a black tree like fabric to bind it. It is about 54 by 74, a nice size throw
The backing is flannel and a camo print
I loved the corner of this long sleeve shirt- and was able to include a portion of the collar in the upper right corner.
I really hope this quilt provides much healing and love for her. I decided to do 24 squares instead of the 12 she asked for, in order to capture more of the shirts and then also to give her a nicer quilty gift. As you know this is dear to my heart just having lost my own mother. I also carefully cut the shirts so I was able to get an additional 30 blocks. I wrote her and offered a second quilt at really just the price of materials. I have that quilt top made and am awaiting the flannel I ordered for the back. She decided to give that one to her mom/sister to share. It won't be as elaborate but it will still be such a nice memory blanket/quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24