Monday, February 21, 2011

Family and Love

Proverbs 31:15-17

She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.  She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.  She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

I have lived in Texas for 16 years now. It is very difficult sometimes to be so far away from family. I was born in Utah, and raised in California; I have family in both states, as well as some others. The hardest thing was being away from my parents and grandparents. We grew up spending many holidays with various grandparents. One set I didn't get to spend much time with until I went to college, that is my Grandma June and Grandpa Kale. Grandpa Kale passed away a couple years back. I was very thankful to have had time with him shortly before his passing. He really just impressed upon me that despite the situation between my mom and biological dad he never stopped loving me and his only regret was the lost time. He was so proud of the woman I had become and that I was such a great mother.

The last time I saw my Grandma June was at his funeral. The summer after he passed I had visited with my mom because I felt her days on this earth were limited, turns out that the Lord had made a good impression in my heart, thankfully I listened because last summer that came to pass. I had really wanted to see my grandma again, at least one more time before she too returns to our Lord, so I find myself very thankful for this past week.My Aunt and her husband just welcomed a new grandbaby into their lives through my cousin's new baby. My cousin and family  live here in Texas, about 30 mins or so from us. My aunt came up with a wonderful idea- to bring my grandma with them, she just loves new babies. For me this will be a wonderful treasure of memories. It was very rare all these years for me to bring along my children to either California or Utah when I would visit. It is very expensive to travel. Therefore, my children did not really know their great grandparents at all. They have no real memories since they were 3 and under the last time they spent any time with them.
To see my daughter bond with my grandma was so special. She even sang for her, which was neat to watch as I once have done the same thing from time to time. My grandmother just loves music. She can break out into song over anything. It always amazes me how she can remember nearly every word to so many old songs. I watched her embrace my children and share her love and hugs with them. Even my oldest who is not really the hugging type.  I have some wonderful pictures from the past few days and I know the book I made for her to take back to Utah will be something she will go through several times.
I think last night was a little difficult. I went into the night realizing that this might very well be the last moments I have with her. Funny how even though I realize how much she would love to be back in my grandpa's arms, I still wasn't quite ready to accept the fact that this could be it. It really made me reevaluate life once again. So often we live in the idea of there is always tomorrow. The funny reality is that isn't quite true, sometimes tomorrow is in eternity instead of on this earth.
When I think of my Grandma June I think of strength. I think of spring- she is always beautiful, always bright, always full of smiles, hugs and more love than I ever thought was humanly possible until I had my own children. I think of music and rocking chairs, boy does she love to rock. I think of wonderful pancakes- she was always wanting to cook for me any time I stopped in- of course she always knew my favorite was pancakes- and banana cream pie. I think of a wonderful woman of God. One who is definitely a Proverbs 31 woman, a great example to mothers and wives and even those not yet with child. She is one that would always welcome you as family. I was so impressed to see her with the quilt that I made- She immediately said, it looks like sunshine- it reminds me so much of you.
When I later the next day shared with her my Tshirt Quilt book I put together she was just in awe- I lost track of the times she looked through it. She made sure I knew how proud she was of me, that I had such a great talent and heart. She also told me so many times how much she loved me and was thankful I was in her life. I think the last three days I have were probably the sweetest ever. I am very thankful to all her children for allowing her to come on this very long trip to see us. It was a visit beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb: sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24